WHO WE ARE
Since 2008, the Southern Indiana Renewable Energy Network (SIREN) has been a leading educator and promoter of renewable energy in southern Indiana. As a project of the 501 (c) 3 non-profit Center for Sustainable Living (CSL), SIREN is a independent, non-partisan, volunteer-run group with a specific focus on promoting solar power including photovoltaic (electricity), solar hot water, and solar air heating furnaces for homes, businesses, churches, governmental buildings, and schools. Visit our SIREN History & Milestones page to learn more.
WHAT WE DO
SIREN’s main activity is presenting free public Going Solar programs at libraries, churches and civic groups. We help people learn about solar and renewable energy because one of the barriers to solar adoption in the Midwest is lack of awareness of its performance, cost and availability.
Additional activities include:
- Providing public outreach and education on energy conservation and renewable energy through events such as energy fairs, speaker presentations, films and demonstration projects.
- Promoting the adoption of renewable energy systems in our schools and other public buildings.
- Facilitating cooperation among renewable energy consumers, system installers, electric utilities and state and local government.
- Providing grant writing assistance to community organizations preparing to go solar.
- Visiting homeowners and providing a site pre-assessment of their home’s potential for solar panels, etc.
Donations are welcome from individuals and business supporters who are interested in renewable energy.
If you have a solar energy system in your home, be sure to ask about our “Powered by the Sun” sign!
The SIREN community consists of hundreds of Indiana solar owners, installers, presenters, and green allies who communicate with each other by email over the public SIREN mailing list, which you can join. We also hold informal gatherings where new and old members of the community meet to exchange information. Contact us if you are interested in attending one.
These are the current members of the SIREN Steering Committee.
- Anne Hedin
- Arvind Gopu
- Chandra Romel
- Darrell Boggess
- Lavanya Pashikanti
- Terry Usrey
- Woodie Bessler
Be sure check out our Volunteer Profiles (Coming Soon!) page for more information!
Common Questions about SIREN
- Send an e-mail to: email@example.com with the message: SUBSCRIBE siren-L
- Please note that content needs to be in the body of the message, NOT in the subject line.
- Respond to the confirmation e-mail by clicking the link provided in that e-mail and follow the provided instructions.
- To communicate with the group, send your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please note that attachments are not allowed).
For the digest version with a single daily summary, send an e-mail to: email@example.com with the message: SET siren-l DIGEST
There are lots of other commands that Sympa recognizes. To get a list of them, send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: INFO siren-l
If you are interested, contact us with your phone number, address, name of your electric utility company, and how many kilowatt hours (kWh), to the nearest thousand, you use in 12 or 24 months. Also tell us if you have an electric water heater or heat pump, and how much of your electric usage you think you might be able to reduce. We attempt to assess energy demand, solar site potential, and recommend an appropriate size for renewable energy systems.
More comprehensive reports are available from solar contractors and MREA (Midwest Renewable Energy Association) certified site assessors. See the Solar Contractors listing for more information.
- Individual $25/year
- Family $50/year
- Sustainer $100/year
- Business $250/year. Benefactors receive a SIREN certificate which can be proudly displayed in your place of business. They can also choose to be listed as a supporter on SIREN’s website.
- Benefactor membership – $500/year. Benefactors can also choose to be listed as a supporter on SIREN’s website.